Improved Academic Performance Evidence from Scientific Literature
From the EPA: Improved Academic Performance Evidence from Scientific Literature
- Good Physical Conditions Can Reduce Absenteeism, Improve Test Scores and Improve Teacher Retention Rates.
- Adequate Outdoor Air Ventilation Can Improve Ability to Perform, Raise Test Scores and Reduce Airborne Transmission of Infection.
- Dampness and Mold Conditions Exacerbate Asthma Symptoms and Absenteeism.
- HVAC Maintenance and Good Housekeeping Improve Health and Performance.
- Learn more
Good Physical Conditions Can Reduce Absenteeism, Improve Test Scores and Improve Teacher Retention Rates.
Studies that measure school conditions using an index of several variables consistently show improved scores on standardized tests as school conditions improve.55, 9, 12, 24 On the other hand, schools with major unmet repair needs and fewer custodial workers per square foot have higher absentee rates and higher dropout rates.6
Nearly 80 percent of teachers responding to a survey in Chicago and the District of Columbia reported that school facility conditions were an important factor in teaching quality. Almost half who graded their facilities “C” or below would consider leaving. The most frequently cited problem was bad IAQ.55
- From the EPA: Health and Achievement
- Lawrence Livermore Laboratory – Proven Benefits of Improving Indoor Air Quality